Water and Sanitation Engineering
The service line has undertaken several urban and rural water supply, sewerage and sanitation projects in the East African region. The recent and on-going projects include:
• Machakos Water Supply Project,
• Othaya-Mukurweini Water Supply
• Project, several water supply projects in Somalia,
• Ruiru WaterSupply Project,
• Kikuyu Sewerage Project,
• Asembo Bay Water Supply project,
• Third Nairobi Water Supply Project in Kenya,
• Mwanza and Zanzibar Water Supply Projects in Tanzania,
• Nanyuki Water Supply and Sewerage,
• Mombasa West Mainland Sewerage Projects in Kenya
The department has also undertaken other services, including design reviews and technical audits of donor funded community-based projects whereby cost-effective, appropriate and sustainable technological solutions are adopted in close liaison with local Community beneficiaries. Recently completed projects include:
• Marakwet Water Supply Project,
• Bakol/Bay Water Supply Project,
• Tharaka-Nithi Water and Sanitation Project,
• Lake Kenyatta Settlement Scheme,
• Mathare 4A Upgrading and Impact Assessment Study of Community Development Programme Phase 1.
All the above projects included institutional, socio-economic and environmental considerations, and we have built up a strong team of local professionals to undertake these components.
Howard Humphreys' track record of successfully completed and operational water supply and sanitation projects is the result of a flexible, dedicated and multi disciplinary team approach to engineering problems. Projects are undertaken using appropriate computer design software for pipeline hydraulics, distribution network analysis and ground profiling. Quality management systems are used to track and manage project deliverables.
Some of the other recent projects which have been completed or are currently being executed are as follows:
• Strengthening Water Transmission Pipelines for water supply to Nairobi City, Athi Water Services Board. Detailed design, preparation of Tender Documents and supervision of construction.
• Ruiru Water Supply Project, Athi Water Services Board. Detailed design and preparation of Tender Documents.
• Baidoa Water Supply Project, UNICEF Somalia Detailed design and preparation of Tender Documents.
• Bosaso Water Supply Project, UNICEF Somalia Detailed design and preparation of Tender Documents.
• Baad Weyne Water Supply Project, UNICEF Somalia. Detailed design and preparation of Tender Documents.
• Merka Water Supply Project, UNICEF Somalia Detailed design and preparation of Tender Documents.
• Asembo Bay–Ndori Water Supply Project, Lake Victoria South Water Services Board. Detailed design and preparation of Tender Documents
• Kikuyu Sewerage Project, Athi Water Services Board
• Detailed design, preparation of Tender Documents
• Rehabilitation and expansion of sewerage system at KCB management centre Kenya Commercial Bank Ltd
• Installation of borehole water treatment system and rehabilitation of underground sprinkler system at KCB Management Centre. Field investigations, detailed design and construction supervision
• Marakwet Water Supply Project, Special Needs, Holland. Design review, detailed design and construction supervision
• Bakol/Bay Water Project, ADRA Somalia - Review of previous reports, data collection in the field and preparation of final report
• Impact Assessment Study of Community Development Programme (CDPI) Kenya Assessment Study, CDTF, Kenya.
The service line also provides support services for the design and supervision of construction of all the external infrastructure/civil works associated with residential, commercial and industrial development projects undertaken by the firm. The infrastructure works comprise site earthworks/grading, water supply, storage and reticulation, storm water drainage and waste water collection, treatment and disposal. Recently completed projects include the:
• Kitisuru Housing Estate,
• Olkaria II Geothermal Power Project,
• Shopping Mall in Dagoretti Corner, and
• Unimix Food Processing Plant.